For my current job, often I have to do tests and/or double-checks on network configurations.
For a 5 minutes test, however, can happen that an entire hub-and-spoke, fully configured is required. Maintaining such type of architecture always-on, on my test subscription is expensive, so I often found myself loosing 2 hours to prepare everything, and after 3-clicks, my test, to delete everything.
To reduce this waste of time I have created a pre-configured playground with the schema below, deployable with just a click (ok maybe 3 if you want to deploy all pieces). It has saved me a lot of valuable time, and even some colleagues have found it particularly useful and practical to create and destroy.
So I thought of making the repo public on github, hoping it would be useful to anyone. You can find the link at the end of this post.
On the same repo, there are also some “scenarios” that I have documented very synthetically, useful in this format to me as fast KB to preserve. Nothing that is not already available in various sauces on the net, the plus here is that the solution is implemented on the playground above, so names, IPs, networks, everything is consistent and easy to understand and verify.
Each Scenario have:
- prerequisites: component to deploy required to implement the solutions (only the hub, also one on-prem playground or both)
- solution: a step-by-step sequence to implement the solution
- test solution: a procedure to follow, to verify if the scenario is working as expected
at this time, I have already implemented the following scenarios:
- how to allow machines in any spoke to communicate with any machine in any other spoke
- how to filter HTTP(S) outbound traffic
- how to expose machines IP via the Azure Firewall
- how to configure Site to Site VPN via vNet connection and IPSec
- how to enable cross on-premises communication and routing
more will be implemented in the future.
As any worthwhile alive repo on GitHub, you can star it, fork it, and use it as you like. If you’d like to see more scenarios implemented, or if you find an error, open an issue in GitHub or write me. If you want to collaborate adding YOU more scenarios, fork the repo and do a pull request, I’ll be happy to review it and add your contribution to the repo.
- Here the repo link https://github.com/nicolgit/hub-and-spoke-playground