How install UBUNTU on Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1
For an interop test with a customer of mine, I needed to install an UBUNTU on my Virtual Server. In order to achieve this reult, I found 2 main issues to address:
- Virtual Server VGA implementation support up to 16 bit as pixel depth, while UBUNTU default is 24
- Virtual Server emulates a PS/2 mouse while UBUNTU (and many other linux distributions) have a known bug in PS/2 implementation
As you easly understand from the company I work for :-) I'm not a really expert on Linux so, after a search here and there, I collected a bunch of information that allows me to succesfully install this OS.
- Step by step installation steps to address the VGA problem: http://arcanecode.wordpress.com/2007/02/26/installing-ubuntu-610-on-virtual-pc-2007-step-by-step/ (good)
- by-pass the mouse problem using the keyboard to emulate the mouse: http://arcanecode.wordpress.com/2007/04/25/ubuntu-704-and-virtual-pc-2007-mouse-issue-workaround-sort-of/ (better)
- Patch the operating system to fix the issue and use you real MOUSE: http://arcanecode.wordpress.com/2007/05/17/fixing-ubuntu-704-fiesty-fawn-mouse-under-virtual-pc-2007/ (best! :-)