NicolTIP#002- Create a manifest.xml extracting content type(s) and columns from a site using Sharepoint Designer
Step to extract a content type and columns to CAML (XML)
- Create you content type and columns in the web UI.
- Create a list/library item using you new content type.
- Load up Sharepoint Designer to the site where you created you item.
- From the File menu, click Export -> Personal Web Package.
- In the export web package window select the list/library where your create the item using the new content type and click add.
- Save the package to your local drive.
- Next browse to where you saved the file and rename it from .fwp to .cab.
- Extract manifest.xml to your local drive.
- Load the file up in your favourite XML viewer (might take a second or two it can be a large file).
- Navigate to the UserLists/Field node (Solution/UserLists/Fields).
- within this node look for your field, you will be able to see the CAML that describes your field.